Poveda leads the Skyhawks with 14 kills and three aces
WALTHAM, Massachusetts (November 22, 2019) – The Stonehill College volleyball team, seeded third in the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament, fell to second seeded American International College, Friday night at Charles A. Dana Center, 3-1. The Skyhawks fell with set scores of 23-25, 14-25, 25-21, and 14-25.
By The Numbers:
- Stonehill (17-10, 9-4 NE10) saw junior Sophia Poveda lead the team with 14 kills and three aces, while sophomore Abby Remick contributed 11 kills.
- Senior Rachel Dunlavy and sophomore Carly Russell chipped in 14 and 11 digs, respectively.
- American International College (14-16, 8-3 NE10) saw Andrea Serra dominate the match with 17 kills and a .359 hitting percentage, while Sarah Lowery and Jana Potic registered 14 and 10 kills, respectively. Both Serra and Lowery recorded double-doubles adding in 11 and 14 digs, respectively.
- Naomi Eckert tallied a match high of 42 assists, while Amanda Rodriguez chipped in a march high 20 digs.
How it Happened:
Remick registered 11 kills for the Skyhawks (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katampes)
- American International rolled with the lead for the entire second game and saw its largest lead of 10 twice, 23-13, before taking the final two points for a 25-14 win.
- Throughout the entire second set, the Yellow Jackets stayed close to the Skyhawks, with its smallest deficit of one, 13-14. Stonehill extended its lead to seven, 24-17, and American International closed the gap to three, but on one of Shannon Burgess's seven kills of the night, the Skyhawks were able to win its first set, 25-21.
- The Yellow Jackets' .333 hitting percentage seemed to be the deciding factor in the fourth game as they opened the frame with an 11-2 advantage. Stonehill tried to fight back and came within seven, 12-19, but American International was victorious with a fourth set 25-14 win to move on to the Championship game
Outside the Lines:
- This was the Skyhawks' second appearance in three years in the semifinal round of the NE10 Tournament, with the last time in 2017 when Stonehill fell 3-2 to the University of New Haven.
- This years' 17-10 overall record and 9-4 NE10 mark was the best record since 2014.
- Stonehill is currently ranked eighth in the NCAA East Region.
Stonehill now awaits the NCAA Division II volleyball selection show for further postseason play and the program's third NCAA bid, and first since 2014. The selection show will take place on Monday, November 25 at 7:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.