Skyhawks recognize lone senior in Dunlavy prior to the game
EASTON, Massachusetts (November 16, 2019) – The Stonehill College volleyball team recorded a 3-1 victory against Southern Connecticut State University in Northeast-10 Conference play Saturday afternoon at Merkert Gymnasium with set scores of 25-18, 23-25, 25-23, 25-23.
By The Numbers:
- Stonehill (16-9, 9-4 NE10) saw junior Sophia Poveda tallied her 19th career double-double with 13 kills and 12 digs. She also registered four blocks and two aces.
- Two other Skyhawks tallied double-digit kills, as Clare Feeman and Basia Peragine each tallied 11 kills and Feeman added in a career high six blocks. Freshman Molly Turner recorded a season high 30 assists.
- Sophomore Carly Russell and senior Rachel Dunlavy combined for 34 digs, as Russell tallied a game-high 19 digs.
- Southern Connecticut State University (13-15, 6-6 NE10) saw Gabriela Gaibur and Tea Carter with double-doubles, as Gaibur tallied 19 kills and 10 digs and Carter notched 51 assists and 15 digs.
- Abigail Epstein totaled a team-high five blocks, while two other Owls registered double-digit digs including Anna Venard with 14 and Jennifer Dawson with 14.
How it Happened:
Poveda tallied her 19th-career double-double with 13 kills and 12 digs (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katsampes)
- Stonehill took the first lead of game two, 3-0, and Southern Connecticut rolled with an 11-3 rally to get ahead by five, 11-6. The Skyhawks tied the set four times, 23-23, before the Owls scored off of Stonehill errors to tie the match at one game each, 25-23.
- With 16 tied scores and four lead chances, the third game was anything but easy. Both teams ended up with close hitting percentages, as Stonehill averaged .200 and Southern Connecticut averaged .196 at the net. Following the Owls' final point, 23-22, the Skyhawks ran with three-straight points off a kill by Shannon Burgess and two errors from Southern Connecticut to take game three 25-23.
- Stonehill saw its highest hitting percentage and the matches' highest hitting clip in the fourth set as they averaged .273. Southern Connecticut went on a 6-0 run to take their first lead of the set, 9-6. The Owls held on to the advantage for most of the frame as Stonehill tied the set five times before their one-point lead, 21-20. Southern Connecticut then responded with two tied scores of their own, 23-23, but Stonehill tallied the final two points to secure the win, 25-23.
Stonehill awaits their matchup for the NE10 Tournament, which will begin on Tuesday, November 19. This will be the second time in three years that the Skyhawks would make the NE10 Tournament with the last time being 2017, when they made it to the semifinal round.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.