This was the Skyhawks' third NCAA Tournament appearance and first time making it to the second round in program history (PHOTO BY: Matt Milless)
ALBANY, New York (November 24, 2019) – The No. 19 Stonehill College women's soccer team, who is the fourth-seeded team in the NCAA Division II Women's Soccer East Region bracket, fell to the top-seeded and No. 11 College of Saint Rose Sunday afternoon, 1-0, at Plumeri Sports Complex in the second round of the NCAA Division II Women's Soccer Tournament.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (12-5-4, 8-1-4 NE10) senior Kaitlin Brown (Walpole, Massachusetts/Walpole) picked up six saves in the game.
- The College of Saint Rose (19-2-1, 10-2-1 NE10) saw Nina Predanic with the eventual game-winning goal with assist from Morgan Burchhardt, as Marika Laurendeau tallied one save in the win.
How it Happened:
- Saint Rose took the first shot on goal two minutes into the game as Predanic struck the ball from the left side of 18-yard box for Brown's first save of the game.
- About a minute later, the Golden Knights registered the first corner kick and the inswinger was punched away by Brown to deny any chance on net.
- Stonehill brought the ball to their attacking third five minutes into the game, and Emma Slade connected on a cross from the right side outside the 18-yard box, but was stopped at the doorstep by Laurendeau.
- Less than a minute later, the Golden Knights turned the ball over and the Skyhawks entered their attacking third once again as Camryn Thompson sent a long through ball to Alex Giardina tipping it across the box, as Kayla Henry was cut off by two defenders before she was able to get a touch on the ball.
- Brown then stopped back-to-back shots on goal in the eighth minute of play.
- Saint Rose got ahead early with a 1-0 lead as Burchhardt sent a cross from right flank, and Brown was able to get a hand on the ball, but Predanic was there to put it away on the left side of the box at 10:04.
- Stonehill held possession for most of the remaining time of the first half, except for a shot on goal from Predanic and a free kick shot on goal from Deanna Trongone from about 35 yards out for Brown's fourth and fifth saves of the game.
Henry recorded one of the Skyhawks' two shots on goal (PHOTO BY: Matt Milless)
- With not much action in either attacking thirds in the second half, both teams battled for possession all throughout the half.
- In the 69th minute of action, Stonehill's Henry sent a cross to Nicole Geraghty inside the 18-yard box, as she sailed the ball high over the cross bar for one of two good chances in the second half for the Skyhawks.
- Another opportunity the Skyhawks had was a corner kick with three minutes remaining in regulation from Henry that was cleared by the Golden Knights and crossed back in by Henry for a header by Giardina that went up and over the crossbar.
Outside the Lines:
- Saint Rose is leading the series against the Skyhawks 16-10-1.
Stonehill wrapped up the season with a 12-5-4 overall record and an 8-1-4 Northeast-10 Conference mark. The Skyhawks earned their third NCAA Tournament in four years and second-straight bid after finishing as the runner-up to the Golden Knights in the regular season in the NE10.
Saint Rose will move on to the third round of the NCAA Division II Women's Soccer Tournament as they will face the third-seeded Molloy College on either Thursday, December 5 or Friday, December 6.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.