Skyhawks scored four goals in six and a half minutes
WORCESTER, Massachusetts (October 22, 2019) – The Stonehill College women's soccer team, who is ranked No. 18 in this week's United Soccer Coaches' National poll and No. 2 in the East Regional poll, dominated against Assumption College, who is ranked No. 6 in the East Regional poll with a 6-3 victory Tuesday afternoon at Multi-Sport Stadium.
By the Numbers
- Stonehill's (9-3-1, 6-1-1 NE10) Kaitlin Brown tallied seven saves.
- Junior Kayla Henry led the Skyhawks' offense as she tallied her first-career hat trick bringing her season total to eight goals and career total to 17 tallies. Classmate Alex Giardina recorded two goals of her own for five on the season and 12 in her career, while Nicole Geraghty (Bridgewater, Massachusetts/Bridgewater-Raynham regional) tallied her fifth goal of the season and 14th goal of her career. Bella MacNeil , Megan Giambanco , Geraghty, and Isabella Collentro each registered assists.
- Assumption (7-4-1, 4-4-1 NE10) saw Alexis Nason and Katie Hammer combine for eight saves.
- The Greyhounds saw Diana Bruggeman tally two goals and one assist, while Brooke Shatney recorded the third tally and Julia Sferlazza picked up a helper.
How it Happened:
- Thirty minutes into the game, Collentro sent a free kick into the box from about 40 yards out. Geraghty was in line with the defense as she was able to watch it all the way in and tip it into the net for her fifth goal of the season at 31:19. This as Collentro's third assist of her career and first of the season.
- Henry found the right side of the net from about 10 yards out to put the Skyhawks up two, 2-0, off an inswinger from Geraghty on the Skyhawks' second corner kick of the game at 33:51.
- Less than two minutes later, Henry recorded her second goal of the game at 35:21 with help from Giambanco, for her third assist of the season.
- Giardina extended the lead to four, 4-0, with her fourth goal of the season and 11th of her career as she sent a lollipop to the back of the net at 37:15 from about 15 yards out.
- A little over three minutes into the second half, Shatney scored the Greyhounds first goal of the game from about 10 yards out as she found the back right post, 4-1, at 47:31 with assist from Diana Bruggeman.
- Bruggeman was then able to cut the deficit even more at 52:06 heading the ball off a corner kick from Sferlazza to cut the Skyhawks' lead to two, 4-2.
Giardina tallied two goals, for her first-career game with two tallies (PHOTO BY: Andrew Katsampes)
- Assumption's Bruggeman was able to put one more on the board off a long ball from about 25 yards out at 81:39 for her second goal of the game, 6-3
Outside the Lines:
- This was the Skyhawks' first victory over the Greyhounds since 2016 when Stonehill beat them in non-conference play, 3-1, followed by a 1-0 victory later in September.
- Six goals is the most scored by the Skyhawks since they defeat the College of Saint Rose in 2016, 8-1.
Stonehill will host Adelphi University (8-3, 7-2 NE10) who is ranked No. 5 in the East Region on Skyhawk Field on Saturday, October 26 with an 11:00 a.m. start time.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks "Front Row" mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.