Ice Hockey Rallies To Earn 3-3 Tie With Wesleyan

Senior Garrett White recorded a multi-point game with a goal and an assist to lead the Skyhawks today against Wesleyan

Skyhawks overcome three goal deficit to force overtime

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (November 29, 2015) – Stonehill College scored three unanswered goals, once in the second period and twice in the third, to erase a three goal deficit and earn a 3-3 overtime tie with Wesleyan University this evening in Non-Conference ice hockey action at  Spurrier-Snyder Rink on the campus of Wesleyan University.

Senior Garrett White (Wakefield, Massachusetts/Boston Bulldogs) and sophomore Tommy Newton (Hollis, New Hampshire/Portland Jr. Pirates) keyed Stonehill's comeback with two points each on a goal and an assist.

Senior Travis Army (Englewood, Colorado/Worcester Academy) also found the back of the net, while classmate Anthony D'Elia (Stamford, Connecticut/Gunnery School), junior Brian Higgins (Milton, Massachusetts/Proctor Academy), and sophomore Connor Tedesco (Winchester, Massachusetts/Proctor Academy) were credited with assists.

Starting his fifth contest of the season in net, freshman goaltender William Palmer (Cranston, Rhode Island/Boston Bandits) made a game-high 41 saves, including 14 in the second period.

Junior James Kline (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania/Baystate Breakers), sophomore Jordan Jancze (Stillwater, Minnesota/Bay State Breakers), and classmate Dylan Holze (Lynbrook, New York/Salisbury) each scored for Wesleyan.

Wesleyan junior netminder Dawson Sprigings (Toronto, Ontario/The Gunnery School) stopped 34 shots in 65 minutes between the pipes, turning away 12 shots in the first and second periods.

Kline opened the scoring for Wesleyan with 5:23 left in the first period, with the help of senior forward Jay Matthews (Marshfield, Massachusetts/Thayer Academy) team-leading second assist of the season. The Cardinals doubled their lead just nine seconds later, as Jancze scored his second of the season to give the host a two-goal lead heading into the first intermission.

Wesleyan would push its lead to three in the second period after Holze potted a goal with 10:24 remaining. Stonehill finally got on the board when Army took a pass from Higgins and slipped a shot past Sprigings for his second goal of the season.

The Skyhawks entered the third period down 3-1, and with a furious rally with goals by Newton and White, tied the game up at three goals apiece to force overtime where neither team was able to score.

Stonehill (3-3-3, 2-0-1 NE-10) is back in action on Tuesday night when they host the Wentworth Institute of Technology at 7 p.m. Wesleyan (0-1-3, 0-0-2 NESCAC) will hit the road on Saturday, December 5th for a matchup against Amherst.

For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter and Facebook.